View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 01:09 PM   #42
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Updating FJ's technical manual?

aridas sofia wrote: View Post
If you are documenting something, the only thing you should be passionate about is the truth. But that isn't what Franz Joseph was doing.
Yes.

He was constructing an idealized, consistent vision of Star Fleet. He tells us as much in his interviews. And yet you don't seem able or willing to absorb what he said.
If this thread were correctly filed under "fan art" or "fan fiction" ("create your own canon") or "The Star Trek Universe according to Franz Joseph" I would not have weighed in.
Most of his work is conjectural and where he had a chance to deliver accurate reproductions (the Season Two studio set was featured in The Making of Star Trek) he apparently decided to ignore it.

You have your own passion that has led you to your own sanitized version of TOS.
I can't believe I'm reading this. The Original Series and what's onscreen is the gospel, it's the source and what 99% of TOS fans relate to (apparently we have approx. 1% of individuals that disagree).

The moment you disregard what's onscreen, i.e. ignore it, change it, alter it etc. will yield a "sanitized version" and that's what we are talking about.

You let your passion guide you in sanitizing the inconsistencies. Oh... Just like what Franz Joseph did.
By bringing in more inconsistencies?

I can only guess that your unwillingness to follow the route provided stems from a need to tear down this vision entirely so you can replace it, not amend it, with your own.
Let's see, we had this "vision" for almost 40 years, for people like James Dixon, Lenny Nurdbol and others it apparently had the unhealthy effect of becoming a petrified dogma, and we still don't have a TOS-devoted publication (except for Geoffrey Mandel's Officers Manual), with accurate crest reproductions (United Earth, Romulan Star Empire), a complete (and correct) list of hand props ("ray gun"???) and accurate Enterprise interior reproductions based on the original studio sets.

Would really be nice to see something like this coming for the 50th Anniversary and I'm doing my part trying to provide the latter one.

Bob

@ Shawnster

Concise comment in a nutshell.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote