View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 11:45 AM   #90
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: Would you like a bsg style reboot of Star trek?

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post

Unproven, but highly likely.
As for enduring temporary acceleration - 0 G grown humans should be able to withstand it, much as we can endure a few Gs worth of acceleration.
Link?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeri_Polyakov
Plus all other humans who stayed in space for prolonged periods.
Sorry, I see nothing there that supports what you're saying or contradicts what I said. In fact, I'll see you and raise you. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight...health_effects:

The most significant adverse effects of long-term weightlessness are muscle atrophy and deterioration of the skeleton, or spaceflight osteopenia.[12] These effects can be minimized through a regimen of exercise. Astronauts subject to long periods of weightlessness wear pants with elastic bands attached between waistband and cuffs to compress the leg bones and reduce osteopenia.[14] Other significant effects include fluid redistribution (causing the "moon-face" appearance typical of pictures of astronauts in weightlessness),[14][15] a slowing of the cardiovascular system, decreased production of red blood cells, balance disorders, and a weakening of the immune system. Lesser symptoms include loss of body mass, nasal congestion, sleep disturbance, excess flatulence, and puffiness of the face. These effects begin to reverse quickly upon return to the Earth.
Spaceflight osteopenia is a serious problem, and it places a significant burden of proof on anyone asserting that people conceived, developed, born, and raised in space will be able to withstand acceleration, especially that of one or more gees.

We won't really know until people are conceived, developed, and born in weightless environments, but science fiction authors such as Niven, and others, write that such people can never return to Earth.

All of these being problems if humans do not use centrifugal force for creating gravity AKA if they are stupid enough to deliberately make these problems

Sure it is - they are also called already solved problems.
The problem of how to build bridges has been solved, yet they still fall down. Wear and tear always creates problems.

Spacecraft with rotating sections will entail their own sets of problems, such as how to avoid catastrophic destruction of the spacecraft, if a section should get hit by space debris.
You are moving the goalposts:
I said creating artificial gravity via centrifugal force is a solved problem.
NOT that making this technology (or any technology) infallible is a solved problem.
I moved no goalposts. I simply pointed out that there is a gulf between solving a problem on paper and solving one in practice. The problem is not completely solved until it is solved in practice.

As yet, we have no space stations or spacecraft with centrifugal gravity.

Until such time as those things exist, we cannot boast that it is an already solved problem. You can't speak of things that have never existed in the past tense.