View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 08:46 AM   #313
Starkers
Admiral

Re: 7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post

I keep hearing this, but I don't see what was so wrong with A Good Man Goes to War"
The episode didn't live up to its promises. It wasn't the game-changer Moffat said it would be. It didn't have a jaw-dropping cliffhanger that Moffat said it would. It's boring, it's talky, it pretends that it's more portentious than it is, the emotional implications of the episode are never dealt with, and for a midseason finale it's a structural failure.

Basically, it's a slickly produced piece of crap.
And yet, it's my absolute favorite episode of Doctor Who ever made, so
I wouldn't go that far, but I really enjoyed AGMGTW and I've never understood the big problems people have with it. But then I loved Let's Kill Hitler too...

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I'd much prefer it if John Hurt's incarnation was a militant mad-man, drafted into the Time War and forced to do all sorts of unspeakable acts out of obligation. Then, near the end, he regenerates into Eccelston who then uses the Moment to do what needed to be done, deciding to do it because of all the things the John Hurt incarnation was forced to do.

It would much more fully explain why Eccelston's incarnation was so PTSDy, far more than just wiping out his own people. And he wouldn't be lying when he said that it was him that did it, as opposed to a disavowed incarnation of himself.
I like this idea.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote