View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 05:52 AM   #308
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: 7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Timby wrote: View Post
Butters wrote: View Post
Hurt's doctor was a real, valid incarnation, and he did something terrible, but what? What!
If I had to guess (and this is not in any way a new theory, it's been discussed to death in this forum), I'm going with the speculation that the Hurtoctor is a regeneration between 8 / 9 who actually decided to use "The Moment" in the final days of the Time War. I think "the promise" is quite literally the Hippocratic Oath of "do no harm," and while the Doctor has caused harm -- both directly and indirectly -- over his many incarnations, what the Hurtoctor did, attempting (and partially succeeding) to remove the Time Lords and the Daleks from all of space and time, was on a scale so monumental, so horrifying, that the Doctor has essentially disavowed that incarnation. So, that's why the Ninth Doctor basically had PTSD, he had just gotten out of being a murder-hungry madman, and while he couldn't accept what had been done and was so hateful of his actions, he also was forged by that memory of genocide.

So, Eleven is still Eleven, because the Hurtoctor is an aberration in the timeline and will be done away with when it's all said and done.
Ending the time war saved the entire rest of existence though. If he didn't do it then he would be allowing the Time Lords to literally uncreate everything that had or will ever live. Whatever Hurt Doctor did would need to be far more villainous than that. If he had been drafted into the time war and actually fought for the Time Lords and committed atrocities in their name before finally coming to his senses (or being forced to them, or regenerating) and stopping the entire war by destroying both sides before they could destroy the universe, it would be far more suiting that the Doctor would be ashamed of him.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote