View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 04:10 AM   #36
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Re: Updating FJ's technical manual?

I have no problem rationalizing the deck 12 reference, but let’s be honest, anything we come up with is exactly that, a rationalization of an inconsistency. Sure, it makes sense that the captain would have a cabin in the secondary hull in addition to his other one, regardless of which deck we assume it’s on, but that doesn’t change the fact that the deck 12 reference was just a “placeholder” of sorts and used at a time when the writer/producers hadn’t even begun to think this stuff through. And when they did begin to give it some thought they chose deck 5 as the location of the captains quarters, which by the way, is also unequivocally stated in TMoST, and once decided upon was consistently adhered to and referenced multiple times.

Anyway, to get back on topic, the consensus of opinion seems to be to change and correct almost everything in FJ’s tech manual, which leaves very little of the original intact? This is why I think a distinction should be made between “updating” and “reimagining” or whatever terms one prefers. As I see it, updating and expanding on FJ’s universe would just involve a respectful tweaking of a few things here or there, whereas for those who want a more faithful tech manual based on what we saw in TOS/TAS then only the format, but not necessarily the contents, need be used? Personally I’d like to see both approaches realized.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote