View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 03:13 AM   #30
Johnny
Commander

Re: Generations was...

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Johnny wrote: View Post

1. Because in BOBW, you knew, like every other episode that everyone was going to be just fine. Which kinda takes the tension out of it.
That's not true at all. As a matter of fact, at the time of BoBW, there was serious debate whether Patrick Stewart was going to return, since he had always felt that the producers were going to fire him. At the time, NO ONE knew if Picard was going to die or not.

2. It's about life. The sisters have been running around plotting revenge in a BoP while bargaining with a mad man wanting to blow up a planet. It changes the basic of everyone in the Federation liking teddy bears and fondue.
I still have no idea what you're talking about here. How are the Duras sister's actions in this movie any different from their actions in the show? And how does this change how other people live their lives in the 24th century?

3. My point is, Sauron wasn't after the Enterprise, it just got in the way, which makes space feel like the Ent isn't the only ship out there, making space bigger, expanding the universe, etc, showing that people off the ship actually exist. Imagine a TV series like NCIS where the lead characters were targeted for assassination each week. Implausible and boring through repetition.
First of all, it's "Soran." Sauron is the bad guy from Lord of the Rings.

Second, Soran had nothing to do with the destruction of the Enterprise. A lucky shot from an old Klingon Bird of Prey did that.

Third, whatever point you're trying to make here still eludes me.

4...It's true that only a few of the cast got exhibition, but you can't have all the crew going through a difficult time as it will be ridiculous.
And yet that's what happened in Star Trek '09, and that worked out beautifully.
Haha, right, let's try again!

1. You say 'no one', but you mean, 'the people you spoke to, what you read and the stuff you watched'. I don't really call that definitive unless you worked in casting.

IMO, there's a fairly standard track record within Star Trek where you don't, or very VERY rarely kill of a lead character (Yar), and if it does happen then what they call 'dramatic' is at the end of a series (Tucker), when it doesn't really matter. That's pretty steady over so many episodes. And BoBW just proved the point that you can stick as many tubes in to as many holes as you like, but the show must go on... next week... with little or no long term downwards effects to the rating.

Or maybe it's because I'm a re-run baby (ie: was crapping into nappie sacks when this was made) and watched it when tv production had advanced a little more in. Yet... voyager...

2. I don't mean that the universe actually changes, I mean the viewers perception of the universe changes. Their characters were behaving in a way which showed that not everywhere in the Star Trek universe and especially places so 'close to home' are that couchy-safe-environment that TNG peddled for so long. (and for the record, I like TNG, better than I like the other series, I just like Generations more.)

3. I never said that SawRon Weasley ever destroyed or had anything to do with the destruction of the enterprise - expect for that bit where he tortured LaForge, put an implant in his visor so the sisters could destroy the ship bit - but still, I never said it. Just said the Enterprise got in the way. Hence the point I'm trying to make about the universe not revolving around this one ship, other stuff happens which doesn't involve them, making it feel like there's more going on and generally making space... feel... big. Which is why I like the film...

4. Well were just going to have to disagree on that 2009 Star Wars film. But since this is about Generations, lets stay away from that.

Best
J.