View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 02:28 AM   #3329
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

davejames wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

I just bought the novelization hoping it makes the Nibiru mission make sense. It is really the only part of the film that I can't make work in my head.
Bob Orci did explain that on Trekmovie, but it's still open to question. The volcano interfered with their transporter lock unless it was line of sight. Apparently between motion and natural disasters, this timeline's transporters are quite finicky.

Also I gathered from Spock's line "that the planet will die" meant the small groups of inhabitants were all near the volcano, not that the planet itself would be destroyed.

RAMA
To me the bigger question is, if they were so worried about the Enterprise being seen by the natives, why did they park it underwater in the FIRST place-- and so freakin close to their temple??

Have they never heard of "standard orbit" in this universe?
My only guess is that it was easier to hide the shuttle close to the surface rather than from higher in the atmosphere, minimizing how often they could to be seen in the sky. Or maybe Kirk had it in his head already as an emergency way to rescue Spock or anyone on the mission if there was a problem...contrary to Spock's objections.