View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 12:06 AM   #782
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Dream wrote: View Post
Anyone else see this yet?

Only 25% of those who went to see "Into Darkness" were under 25

Meanwhile something like "Iron Man 3" has 45 percent that are under 25, making that much more family friendly.

I guess Trek still has a had time attracting the under 25 audience. But this also means that it won't be hit as hard by Fast and Furious 6 since that franchise has mostly teen and young adult fans.
I guess Trek is an older audience now. It's been years since they've been on television and the last few shows never matched the popularity of TNG.

I wouldn't be counting out The Hangover Part III AKA Bradley Cooper Held Hostage Part II. The last film was a piece of dog shit, a total victory lap by those who produced it. Bradley Cooper just mailed it in. But audience scores were apparently high and it made more money than the first one. Domestically, the first two films made over $500 million. Trek being sandwiched between Iron Man 3/Gatsy on one side and FF6/Hangover III on the other side is not a great place to be.

A return to the holiday season might be advisable at this point.

All this being said, I think the film will still gross over $200 million in the US and do even better overseas. It is and will be a success.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote