View Single Post
Old May 20 2013, 04:33 PM   #48
Christopher
Writer

Re: Novels based on the movie cast.

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Unless they could be salvaged in part (say, a new alien species concept) for a new Trek or original novel that can be published one day.
I've been thinking about whether I could rework SaNW in that way, but the problem is that I intentionally designed it to be a story that could only happen in the Abramsverse, that grew out of the specific events and characterizations of the '09 movie. I didn't want it to be just a TOS story with the trappings adjusted. So if I tried to transpose the events to TOS or something, then not only would a great deal have to be changed, but a lot of the thematic meaning and character impact would be lost. Maybe eventually I'll figure out a way to salvage aspects of it, but it wouldn't be easy.

The thing to keep in mind is that all writers have done plenty of stories that never got published. It's just part of the job. The only thing unusual about it in this case is that they were stories we were solicited to write in advance -- although from our perspective that's a good thing, since it means we got paid for our unpublished work! And yes, we often do find ways to recycle parts of our unsold works into later tales -- heck, I've done so with Orion's Hounds and Over a Torrent Sea, and probably a few other things. But for most writers, it's a given that not everything we write will see the light of day. It's generally more important to focus on the next project than dwell on an old one.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote