View Single Post
Old May 20 2013, 03:31 PM   #57
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Game of Thrones 3.7 - "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" - Rate & disc

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Just like the other writers, GRRM gets an outline produced by Benioff and Weiss and writes according to it, and once the script is submitted they're free to alter it during filming however they like. (Some of this week's scenes, including the bear pit, were belatedly imported from other episodes and are by B & W.) I suppose if Martin really deeply objected to something he might ask for it to be changed, but since he's evidently made his peace with something as counter to his basic vision as the Talisa storyline, I doubt he'd bother.

That said, I am surprised they gave him such a nothing, talky episode to write. The only scene of much import was, as I said, not in the original outline.
I believe that he was offered the chance to write the penultimate episode of this season but said that once was enough to have to write one particular scene - you can probably guess what.

he just doesn't convince me as anything other than a modern-day sadist. Still can't quite sum it up.
What gets to me is what I called "over-elaborate TV-psychopath mindf***ing." The particular sort of mental manipulation that the boy is doing is stuff that happens in bad serial-killer movies more than it does in actual instances of psychotic torture, which are much cruder and more consistently violent. There's a false sophistication to what's happening here, as if the boy were Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs. But Hannibal Lecter only played the mental games he did because he was behind bars; once he got out it was back to tearing faces off.
Yes, that's a very good way of putting it.

I know that this is an adaptation and that this character doesn't have to be exactly like Ramsay in the books (any more than, say, Locke has to be like Vargo Hoat). But the Ramsay of the books was a psychotic sadist who would simply have walked in and chopped off Theon's cock. I don't see him going to all the trouble of getting whores and giving them a script to go in and follow.

Indeed, the Ramsay of the books would probably have found it impossible to resist setting his dogs on the whores and then raped and killed them himself, long before he could persuade them to go in and mock-seduce Theon.