View Single Post
Old May 19 2013, 02:20 AM   #3011
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Please reread my post - I said quite clearly that STiD is definitely Star Trek. But it is Star Trek lacking anything cerebral. It's a perfectly fine story with perfectly good character motivations, but one of the things that tends to characterize the high water marks of Star Trek are the characters making decisions based on philosophical concerns. That, to me, is the defining difference between the universe of Star Trek and today's world - not that there's no poverty or war and everyone's happily living in Paradise, but that the characters engage with and are motivated by a higher order set of concerns, not simply personal and selfish ones like we regular mortals.
Kirk refusing to follow orders to stand off and fire torpedoes at Harrison, because he believed that Harrison deserved a trial, was precisely him "making decisions based on philosophical concerns", as well as him engaging with and being "motivated by a higher order set of concerns, not simply personal and selfish ones like we regular mortals."