View Single Post
Old May 19 2013, 01:58 AM   #2979
Therin of Andor
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Because the characters within the stories don't engage with them. They are not in-story concerns, but fan concerns in terms of comparing one set of stories and the character interpretation presented in them, and another set of stories and the character interpretation offered as alternative.

thus Nature vs. Nurture might make an interesting fan debate but it in no way affects what happens in STiD.
So it can only be true Star Trek if the characters realise something and not the audience?

On the other hand in TMP, the climax of the movie hinges on Deckard

And one of the biggest criticisms about the story of ST:TMP is that it should have been Kirk or Spock making guest-star Decker's climactic sacrifice to save the Earth from V'ger.

Abrams' Trek is fun, entertaining and looks good - but it's not in the same ballpark. I think one review said it best when it dubbed the film "a Star Trek flavored action movie".
Well, I hate action movies, but I love JJ Abrams' "Star Trek" movies.

What's so terrible about "Star Trek flavored action movies"? They create new fans of the ongoing franchise, just as ST IV (a "Star Trek flavored" comedic movie) did. CBS already reported that the 2009 film caused huge spikes in sales of all "Star Trek" DVD boxed sets: all of the movies and all of the TV series, as new fans explored what had come before.
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote