Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Chakotay and Janeway romance

R. Star wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post

You've made the point just a few times before! While I don't completely agree with it, you definitely articulate the argument well and make some good points. My main beef with the Seven/Chakotay relationship is they just threw it at us with no buildup whatsoever and expected us to find it believable. The Paris/Torres relationship works because hey... it was a bumpy road with a lot of foreshadowing and build up to it.
Suddenly throwing it in at the end of Season 7 with no buildup is the main reason I don't like it. In addition to my personal preference of Janeway ending up with Chakotay.
We agree an awful lot despite the fact I'm often critical of Janeway's decisions and you're an avid fan!

Don't get me wrong, Paris/Torres are not an obvious match. But we see the buildup to it on screen and can see that "Hey, they made that work despite it all."

Chakotay and Seven? Well we get one episode of Seven with a holo Chakotay(who is more life like than the real one) and that's about it before they're lovey dovey.

Chakotay and Janeway? They do have a past to build upon. Resolutions hinted enough at that, though Scorpion did seem that their friendship may be more platonic. Though... being the Janeway critic I am... one disagreement... "Well I guess I am alone." End of romance.
They made up at the end though. I think everyone is allowed to have some rough patches. It was nice to see the usual "I'll bend over and take it" Chakotay and Janeway finally having some problems. I mean, Tom and B'Elanna had problems all the time, but that didn't mean they didn't love one another. Also...other than Scorpion, I think in Equinox they had a way worse fight...also she confined him to quarters. They made up at the end kind of, but for me that was a worse argument than in Scorpion. Janeway turned into a vengeful crazed maniac in that episode though...so I can't blame Chakotay for opposing her in that episode.

At least in Scorpion, we got this scene:
CHAKOTAY: I want you to know that disobeying your orders was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.
JANEWAY: I understand, and I respect the decision you made even though I disagree with it. What's important is that in the end, we got through this together. I don't ever want that to change.

Also... don't forget there was some chemistry demonstrated in episodes following like in Year of Hell when he used a bunch of replicator rations to make her that watch. And then again in Shattered, when they had their little private party in her room. :P Even though Chakotay claimed there were "lines they never crossed"...still...they had innuendo in that episode.

Holo-Chakotay was the ONLY thing we ever got before Endgame signaling anything resembling a C/7 pairing. And Chakotay was not even there or aware of it, so it barley counts. It only showed Seven's side of the story. Then we see nothing regarding it until Endgame where it's thrown in as a last resort.

Chakotay and Janeway have a fairly long history of friendship and almost-romance to build off of. Plus, I think she deserved to have someone to love and to love her back at the end, after all they had been through together... I mean... I will never stop believing there was something between them that was just not acted upon on the show. I will choose to regard the events in the most recent novels as my own personal canon.

And yes Paris/Torres was not an obvious match in the beginning, but they built it up over SEVERAL SEASONS and they went through a lot of rough patches and scuffles. I really liked their relationship and thought they had good chemistry.

Last edited by Captain Kathryn; May 18 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote