View Single Post
Old May 18 2013, 06:56 PM   #2887
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

gornsky wrote: View Post

I know there's a lot of love for TWOK. I love it too. But I really think the rose-coloured glasses are pretty firmly in place for most people. TWOK had just as many errors, plot holes, inconsistencies, ideas lifted from past Trek and dodgy acting as STID, if not more so. I mean, I always wondered why when Chekov and Terrell first discover the Botany Bay and Chekov tries to scamper out of the cargo carriers before they are discovered but meet Khan and his followers on the outside -- why didn't they just call the Reliant and say, "Two to beam up. Now!" Khan would have had no way to stop them, and no way to follow them. The answer is, because it suits the script that they don't. If Kurtzman and Orci had written that, we would never hear the end of it.

Isn't that the first thing you learn in Starfleet School, if a bad thing is about to happen to you planet side, beam the hell outta there!
Trust me, back in the 80s the plot holes and inconsistencies of TWOK were discussed by Trek fans ad nauseum. Starting with Space Seed was a season 1 episode and Chekov wasn't even on the ship until season 2.

The internet didn't create fanboys, it just gives them a place to congregate in larger numbers. All the cons had formal and informal discussion groups about the movie, all the zines did as well. There's nothing new under the sun especially when it comes to Trekkies dissecting Trek stories. It is fun and we shall do it forever!!