View Single Post
Old May 18 2013, 04:59 PM   #44
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: Post here if you actually loved this movie!!

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I don't typically see movies in a theater more than once, even if I loved them (and I indeed did love STiD), but this is going to be a definite theatrical rewatch. Taking the classic Trek stories Space Seed and The Wrath of Kahn and mashing them together with Star Trek Insurrection was a stoke of storytelling brilliance only made better by the fact that there wasn't even the slightest indication/inkling in the leadup to the film that Peter Weller's Admiral Marcus was a bad guy, to the point that I'm now convinced that Abrams and Co. deliberately made Cumberbatch's character's identity an 'open secret' so as to preserve the secrecy and integrity of the broader story they wanted to tell, which, quite frankly, is pure genius.
That thought crossed my mind, too. Cumberbatch was a red herring. Unlike the other actors, Weller wasn't even involved much in promoting the movie. His character flew almost completely under the radar right up to the opening. I honestly believed he had essentially a bit part in the Daystrom Room scene where his character just advanced the plot, then he'd be killed along with Pike and others or if he survived, be in one more scene to grant Kirk his chance his vengeance against Harrison.