View Single Post
Old May 18 2013, 04:18 PM   #42
Rear Admiral
Re: Post here if you actually loved this movie!!

Grup wrote: View Post
I'm assuming this thread is not requiring spoiler tags. Be warned that they are in this post however.

I went to the midnight early (first) showing. There were about 30 people in the theater. I was the third one there. I was very surprised to see that I was clearly the oldest, at 50, to be there. The entire audience was clearly under 30. I guess Paramount is getting their new audience.

That being said, my reaction contrasted very differently to the rest of the audience. My group reacted positively to 'Khan' whereas I groaned inside. I really wanted a new bad guy. Especially after being assured that it would not be Klan by TPTB. When Kirk was dying, one member audibly muttered a confused 'WTF'? I don't think it was a 'why rehash this scene with Kirk? "wtf", but more of a 'Holy crap.' And 'How are they gonna fix this' "wtf"

Overall the audience responded very well to the movie with applause at the end. I did enjoy the movie. I thought it was well done. I'm still struggling with the 20 year discrepancy of Khans appearance and the parallel/alternate occurrences and reactions to what occurred in the original timeline. I think if you can separate what 'we' know has happened and view it through fresh eyes, this is a very good movie. I'm going again this afternoon. btw.
The theater I saw it in was about 3/4 full at 7:30 (IMAX 3D). There were quite a few of us AARP-types, 30-somethings, and my daughters were relieved to see a smattering of tweens and teens.

The only audible sound I heard when Harrison revealed his true identity was an, "OOOh," from a woman a few rows ahead of me. And it was an, "oooh" as in, this is going to get interesting.

My wife (an unspoiled non-Trek fan) truly said a confused, "Wow," as in "they really did that?" when Kirk died, and looked at me like, "Kirk's your man, why aren't you sobbing?" (Of course, it's because I was spoiled rotten.)

As far as having fresh eyes goes, to paraphrase Kirk in TUC, if there's going to be a brave new world, our generation (of fans) is going to have the toughest time living in it. Fans can be very frightened by change.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain