View Single Post
Old May 18 2013, 12:08 PM   #15
Johnny
Commander

Re: Generations was...

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Johnny wrote: View Post
I don't think best of both worlds was that good TBH, BLASTPHEMY! Too 1-dimensional in it's story structure. You just knew every had to get out alive in the end. The only part of All Good Things was Data's future hair and the poke scene.
You are of course entitled to your own opinion, and I'm well aware that people can come away with entirely different feelings from the same film. But I have a hard time agreeing with any of your viewpoints... especially the viewpoint that Generations was better than BoBW. Sorry, but the film was lousy. The writers of the movie itself have even gone on record to say the film was lousy.

Generations is the only film that had the guts to change the status-quo. I think what it boils down to was that it's a film that showed how people actually live in that time, whether it was the klingon sisters wanting revenge, data pining for LaForge, or Picards family turmoil while trying to captain a ship, Sauron trying to get back to the nexus. It was all personal to each character, I genuinely felt for them.
The only change Generations made to the status quo was to bring Kirk into the 24th century in the most convoluted way possible, just to kill him.

I'm not sure how this particular film shows how people lived in the 24th century, and the other films did not. Because the Klingon sisters wanted revenge? What does that have to do with everyday life in the 24th century? And for that matter, any of the other points you wrote?

I feels like every star trek film since has had a requirement of a baddie that wants to, at least by the end, only destroy the Enterprise. What...? An enemy that doesn't want to destroy the Enterprise... can such a thing exist?!
Enemies have wanted to destroy the Enterprise since TOS. What's your point?

There's more character development in Generations tis why I like it.
Not only was there hardly any character development, most of the principles did nothing in this film. Riker, Worf, Geordi, Troi, and Crusher were completely pushed aside so that Picard and Data could hog the limelight, something that all four TNG films had in common. And other than the plot devices of having Picard's family die and Data's emotion chip go haywire, there was little "character development" at all.

But as I said, you're entitled to your own opinion
1. Because in BOBW, you knew, like every other episode that everyone was going to be just fine. Which kinda takes the tension out of it. There were plenty of better episodes than BOBW, Drumhead for instance, now that was an intelligent concept.

2. It's about life. The sisters have been running around plotting revenge in a BoP while bargaining with a mad man wanting to blow up a planet. It changes the basic of everyone in the Federation liking teddy bears and fondue.

3. My point is, Sauron wasn't after the Enterprise, it just got in the way, which makes space feel like the Ent isn't the only ship out there, making space bigger, expanding the universe, etc, showing that people off the ship actually exist. Imagine a TV series like NCIS where the lead characters were targeted for assassination each week. Implausible and boring through repetition.

4. The result of Nemesis with that little side story for Riker, was phenomenally bad, I can see what they were trying to do, but that's what happens when you have everything happen on a ship... not much to do but press fire.
It's true that only a few of the cast got exhibition, but you can't have all the crew going through a difficult time as it will be ridiculous. I'd rather have an intelligent film revolving around a couple key characters, without it being padded out with others.

---

I'm not saying that it's the best film in the world, there are a lot of smarter written and better made non-films generally, but if I had a choice, that's the one I'd watch.

And to be honest, I shift back and forth between TUC and Gen on story, but I still think Gen is better shot.

Retrospectively filled with 'IMO's. XD
J.