View Single Post
Old May 18 2013, 06:25 AM   #2782
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I just got back from seeing the film, and J.J. Abrams and Co. have created a freaking MASTERPIECE of Trek storytelling that not only pays homage to the franchise as a whole, but surpasses the classic tales from which it draws most of its inspiration.

Cumberbatch's role as Kahn was somewhat of an 'open secret' for most of the film's production/post-production, but one thing I wasn't expecting at all was to see the film combine the classic Kahn stories 'Space Seed' and 'The Wrath of Kahn' with elements of the story from Star Trek Insurrection (which made me extremely happy given that Insurrection remains my absolute favorite TNG film and one of my favorite Trek stories in general, despite its relative non-popularity with the majority of the fandom).

Cumberbatch playing Kahn was, as I noted, kind of an 'open secret', but I'm rather surprised that nobody ended up spoiling Peter Weller's Admiral Marcus' role as an additional antagonist. Tying him in with Section 31 and Kahn was a brilliant decision, and really helped offset the fact that, as I mentioned, most Trek fans were already aware of who John Harrison really was.

I don't know about anyone else, but I loved the film's take on the Klingons; it was great to see their ridged helmets, but I also liked that we got to see what they look like under said helmets, and really liked the new design that the production team came up with for them.

I voted the film an A+ in the poll, and would've rated it higher had the option to do so been available. It's a phenomenal piece of storytelling and Trek lore and one of the best films I think I've seen in the last year or so.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote