Is anyone still reviewing this movie on this thread?
I liked it. A lot. It wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it.
What I liked:
- Someone acknowledging that Kirk doesn't really have the experience for his job.
- Scotty resigning on principle
- The Augment Torpedoes. (I didn't know it was Khan, but I knew it was Khan as soon as I saw him surrender to those torpedoes filled with his men.)
- Chekov seeming less than thrilled with getting a red shirt.
- Starfleet, or at least Marcus personally, overreacting to the loss of Vulcan. It makes them seem more human.
- The Botany Bay' discovery resulting from butterflies coming from Vulcan rather than Spock telling anyone about it or the Enterprise fulfilling its destiny to find it.
- The homages to The Wrath of Khan.
- Spock's roaring rampage of revenge. Yes it is out character for the Spock we all knew and loved. But that Spock never had to watch Kirk die as a young man and certainly never had to see Vulcan die around him.
- The mystery who the villian was. At first I thought it was annoying and very much wanted to know. Then I decided that I would try to stay as unspoiled as possible. Then I started piecing the clues together. I went in suspecting Khan, but wouldn't have been surprised if it was someone else.
What I didn't like:
- Why did Spock, or anyone, need to personally dive into a volcano?
- The homages to the Wrath of Khan. (Yes, I both loved and hated them.)
- Why weren't ANY ships around Earth to at least help evacuate the Enterprise. I wouldn't be surprised if more space traffic was flying over my head right now than there was as the Enterprise fell.
- Was there a Klingon Neutral Zone in 2259?
- Was it just me or did it look like a moon was crashing into Kronos? (Or: Why did Praxis explode thirty years early?)
- Why would Khan be recruited to design weapons? Yes, I actually could understand why Marcus would want a more savage person to advise him on defending the Federation, but why waste time teaching Khan to manipulate modern technology when it would have been easier to show him the modern toys and ask what he would do with them.
What Spock should let the 2250s know:
- The Borg
- The Planet Eater
- The Whale Probe