View Single Post
Old May 17 2013, 07:43 PM   #13
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

throwback wrote: View Post
I'm in the minority here. I don't like it. I feel that it is reflective of something that might have been passable in a low-budget film. I feel that the engine cores in the classic Trek were far more believable, mainly, because, there was thought put into the design. What we saw in the series was the reaction chamber which was part of a larger engineering system. And, if I remember rightly, Kirk had to climb his way up to the connection point, because there were no stairways and no catwalks. And, when he got there, he literally had to kick one of the connection points into place. Really? And where was the dilithium crystal to modulate the reaction? I didn't see one.
The bluish-glowing tips of the two halves appeared to be some kind of crystal-like material to me.

Personally, they could have made the chamber a bit smaller for my tastes and rational, but I'm not going to dwell on production decisions, it was effective for what they were attempting to convey in the scene.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote