View Single Post
Old May 17 2013, 05:56 PM   #406
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: When did voyager go wrong?

teya wrote: View Post
Brit wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
If I was a Maquis I'd be utterly pissed and resentful towards Janeway. Especially when she goes on one of her rants about Federation values and that a replicator is more valuable than my life, because I've been conscripted into her personal military and told by her that she's willing to sacrifice my life for values I don't believe in.
That is based on an assumption, we don't know what transpired between destroying the Array and the scene where we saw them all in uniform. I can and have made the case that becoming Starfleet was Chakotay's idea. For all we know they all voted to become Starfleet. You would like to believe this, but that doesn't make it true.

In fact you are also assuming that basic Federation and Maquis values are different. Based of what we have seen they are not much different.
From the Maquis perspective, the Federation abandoned their colonies.

There should have been a lot more resentment among the Maquis than we saw.
From the Maquis perspective, they were now 75 years away from what they were fighting over (and the Cardassians were their main enemies, not the Federation) and were in utterly unknown territory with the Fleeters being the only people they knew. People who had already put themselves on the line to help them when they didn't have to.

They'd kind of be dumb to immediately turn on the Fleeters for folks they didn't know, and they'd be hypocrites to think that badly of Janeway seeing how she was willing to help out a planet of innocent people (The Ocampa) instead of just selling them out. That was the opposite of what the Feds did to the Maquis and I think that might resonate with some of them.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote