Old May 17 2013, 05:45 PM   #148
Flake
Commodore

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Panic Stations.
No.
Well I will think positive instead for a moment. I will allow myself that luxury for once

Overseas numbers are exceptionally good compared to Star Trek (2009) and the Russia opening day number was apparently 400% higher than ST09. This is awesome news because Russia is a big emerging market and this bodes well for China/Brazil/Korea/Japan. On the subject of South Asia I believe Star Trek Into Darkness is also doing very well in Hong Kong. This is also great news.

In the United Kingdom, the market most saturated by nuTrek outside of the USA, the opening weekend was the equivalent of Star Trek Into Darkness earning $108m over the same 4-day period. Hopefully this will happen though I believe a 30+m Friday and similar Saturday will be required.

The A cinemascore is an excellent indication of positive word of mouth and will hopefully translate into good 'legs' for Star Trek over the next several weeks so that even if the opening is lower than expected, in the end the box office will still be high.

Flake is offline   Reply With Quote