View Single Post
Old May 17 2013, 12:42 PM   #2521
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
No character steps back from those emotions to show how we should respond, the appropriate response to having someone you loved murdered.
I thought there were a number of occasions where this happened. For instance, Kirk is all gung-ho to follow his orders and "track the bastard down", despite the fact that both Spock and Scotty and to some extent even McCoy "lecture" him that he's wrong.

Spock tells him that hunting someone down and killing them without a trial is against Starfleet directives and morally wrong. Further he tells Kirk he needs to take a little time to think about it to arrive at this conclusion himself. Spock seems to have faith that once Kirk calms down, he will do the right thing. Scotty tells him that they are supposed to be explorers, not military personnel. Kirk is still travelling on the momentum of grief until he sits down in the Captain's chair to inform the crew of their mission. Maybe it was the extra weight of the responsibility of the chair itself, or maybe the echos of Pike's accusations that he was not ready for it finally settle, but almost in mid-sentence Kirk has a change of heart and informs the crew that he will personally go down to Kronos, capture "Harrison" and return him to Earth to face trial.

Is that not exactly a character stepping back from emotions to show how you should respond? (if indeed this is some mandatory requirement of a Trek story.)

No one is wise enough to lecture the crew. And that is very bad for Gene Roddenberry's vision indeed.
I don't know about all this "crew lecturing" and why it's so important, but a number of characters do exactly this.

Pike gives Kirk the ultimate "lecture" at the beginning of the movie. Remember? 'You think the rules don't apply to you because you disagree with them. You use luck to justify playing God. One day you'll get yourself and everyone under your command killed. You don't respect The Chair because you're not ready for it."

Again, Spock lectures Kirk on the morality of what amounts to a government-sanctioned assassination. Scotty lectures Kirk on the merits of exploration over war. Spock lectures Uhura on making assumptions about someone's feelings. Kirk lectures Spock on elevating slavish adherence to rules over friendship. How many more "moral lessons" do you want the characters to impart?

A speech at the end, after using people was the only thing that kept them alive, does not a theme make. This movie is about exactly what NOT to do when someone wrongs you.
I thought the theme of the movie was quite apparent and was referenced in a variety of ways, driving the point home strongly.

Carol Marcus is the only one who doesn't seek revenge. And her reaction is cold as if nothing happened. I know if I saw my father's head crushed, I would be emotional
You didn't think her blood-curdling scream was a reaction?

Kirk's speech about how he "doesn't know what he should do" is what this character is all about. He doesn't have the training necessary to be Captain.
He doesn't have the years of experience Prime Kirk had, that's true, and he feels that lack acutely. But Kirk has intuition and smarts and, as he calls it, his "gut feeling". These attributes have almost always served him well.

His love for Spock is never explained, as a mind-meld transference from Prime Spock, to his sympathy over losing his mother, whatever. We are left to guess.
No, it's not really explained in words, but I felt their burgeoning affection was apparent in a number of their scenes. When Kirk tells Spock he'll miss him. When, even having been assigned to other ships, their eyes seek out each other during the Harrison briefing (not in a homoerotic way, just because each has become used to getting the others' feedback). Kirk's hand on Spock's shoulder after Pike's death. Their effective and often complementary working relationship, despite their philosophical hurdles. Spock's belief in Kirk's reaching the right decision on his own. Spock's familiarity with Kirk's deflecting his valid arguments with name-calling. Kirk's seeking Spock's approval when he finally makes the right decision to arrest rather than obliterate Khan. Spock's ability to accurately guess Kirk's decisions without words, based only on his familiarity with Kirk's thought processes.

Really, I thought all these things were very clearly telegraphed in the movie.

The relationships--the loyalty, love, and comradery among the crew--never hinted at, never given a character-building scene. They just are loyal and we are to accept it.
Seriously? I thought the whole movie was one character-building scene after another. Obviously I was getting a lot more out of it.

There are no good guys in this movie, it relies on lore and sentimentality of the past to explain who we are supposed to be cheering for. They don't do anything noble. Kirk isn't concerned about anyone else in that room except the one he cared about. He's selfish.
Giving up your life for your crew without a second thought is selfish? You have awfully high standards then.

Spock is willing to push away emotions but can't do it when it counts.
But that's the thing about strong emotions. They evade your control.

Scotty is the only redeeming figure in the whole movie. He is capable at his job, tries his hardest to do what is right, and has training to handle these situations. And he gets busted off the Enterprise for it.
Okay, well, at least somebody impressed you.

Now, for the nit-picks:
NOW for the nit-picks? O.M.G. I thought they WERE the nit-picks!
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote