View Single Post
Old September 5 2005, 07:10 PM   #61
nevermore
Admiral

Re: Spoiler whore's thread! (enter at your own ris

Posted by Whizzer:
Plus, given Kara's sexual history, one would hope that she has a fairly good handle on birth control methods, and I would also guess that a civilization with advanced tech would also have highly effective BC. If no, then my respect for the character goes out the door.
Well I am pretty sure the colonies had very reliable BC, and I do not think they will do a pregnant Starbuck storyline this early.
An interesting question is do they have reliable BC in the fleet?
I am sure both Galactica and the cruiseships had some in storage, plus the personal stock of the passengers.
However considering a lot of the passengers have no real job to do, the lack of recreational facilities and human nature I would assume they are going to be out of BC pretty quickly.
And while they have refinery ships and some such, I do not think that they have a jump capable condom factory somewhere in the fleet.
Thoughts?
Well, given that there are both implant options that last several years and shots that last several months available to us today, I would guess that a fair number of the military personell as well as a fair number of people in the fleet would be covered for a while. Also, given the nature of their jobs, I would hope that Galactica would have a good supply on hand for the pilots and other personell who simply couldn't perform if they were to become pregnant. I think that they probably have the facilities to manufacture medicine, of which BC would be a prioritiy, at least for those whose continued job performace, like Starbuck, is vital to the survival of the fleet.

As for the civilian population, that might be a different matter. Should be addressed in later episodes, I would hope, along with other issues of life in a refugee fleet, wouldn't you think?