View Single Post
Old May 17 2013, 02:30 AM   #3
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: The Dambusters 70 years on

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I had considered starting apost on this very topic, but I stpped myself, for the reasons you mentioned amongest others.

Yes it was a great technical achievment, flying at 60ft with nothing but a couple of spotlights to tell them they were at 60ft, a bouncing bomb.

Though do we really glorify war when we mark these days? Or is it a way of commerating those who fought for our freedoms? Perhaps in this case it is because it's the 70th anniverdsary of the raid it is getting attention, will the 71st anniversary garner as much attention?
No we don't glorify war - we remember the sacrifice that was made by those who served.

Also have to remember that aim of the raid was to shorten the war. Unfortunately history has shown it didn't. Had they breached the 3rd dam (The Sorpe?) I think would have been very different.

Think about it the 68th Anniversarry of VE day passed by just over a week ago, and I don't recall seeing a thread about it. In many respects perhaps the one day in the UK outside of Remembrance Day and/or Remberance Sunday that perhaps gets a bit of attention would be the 15th September Battle of Britain Day.
People tend to look at the big anniversary rather than the the in-between. People will remember a 60 and 70th and but something like a 68th tends to pass people by unless it's something commemorated annually with something special.

But people tend to remember the special instances of "daring-do" sometimes over the big events such as VE day.

As for the Dambusters, I have a Dambusters t-shirt but wore it yesterday not today. T-shirt was a present from the wife though more from liking the Lancasters (had two great uncles who flew them, one of who's ashes were scattered at Scampton).

Would have loved to see one flying but the one the flew in to CFB Trenton wasn't able to fly on the day because of technical problems but did get to go aboard.

And any stories you heard about the wing spare being difficult to climb over at true.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote