View Single Post
Old May 17 2013, 01:51 AM   #27
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: Would you use a transporter?

[QUOTE=iguana_tonante;8099512]
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Is it the same body? Yes (or at least, that's how the magical technology of transporter is supposed to work).
If I take a perfect photocopy of a piece of paper, then destroy the original, can we still say I have the original?

So, the issue can't be one of material component. The issue seems to be continuity of consciousness. You seem to imply that there should be continuity of consciousness to be the same person. But we don't have continuity of consciousness. Every time you fall asleep, your consciousness is interrupted. During the night, a lot of stuff happens inside your body: molecules are created and destroyed, atoms are shifted around, and particles do all the crazy stuff that particles do. Does the original person survive the night? Or a slightly different copy wakes up in the morning, thinking it is the original?

If you fall asleep on a plane, you can travel thousands of miles before you regain consciousness. From your own point of view, how is it different from travelling with a transporter?
Except the person snoozing on the plane doesn't have his body destroyed, does he?

Or, taking a slightly different approach but still asking the same question: what is lost inside the transporter? It can't be matter, it can't be energy, it can't be information. So what is it?
Yes, it IS matter. When the transporter takes you apart, your body ceases to exist as matter. You lose the matter of your body.

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
regardless of whether that energy is converted into an identical copy of me or not.
If the copy is identical, how is it not you?
Two cars that come off the production line are identical. Are they the one car? Of course not.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote