View Single Post
Old May 17 2013, 01:21 AM   #2449
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Keenser, despite being a senior officer, believe it or not (according to the comics he's a lieutenant and is apparently the assistant chief engineer I assume since Kirk does not promote the assistant to be chief), he tkes a lot of abuse and is treated like s skivvy by Scotty in what seems to be a terrible case of workplace bullying and 'disability' discrimination. Plus Scotty does have a history of behaving unprofessionally and abusing animals. He was good in the movie but give more credit to those that really deserve it!
I don't see that at all. I see Keenser and Scotty as having a friendly relationship that is just punctuated by good natured insults, nothing more than that. Scotty is not abusing Keenser, he's just 'needling' the guy. Real friends do that all the time.

And when has Scotty (any version) ever shown any tendency towards "behaving unprofessionally and abusing animals"? Scotty is about the least likely to act that way out of any TOS character.
They are obviously friends but Keenser is an officer and Scotty's needling while they are on duty undermines his authority as an officer. Until the comic, I thought he was just a crewman and if that was the case, I would give Scotty's behaviour a pass. I actually think the writers of the comic hadn't given much thought to what being an officer actually means on a ship with 400 crew. Keenser was also the chief engineer on the outpost for years and yet Scotty, freshly from the Academy, somehow ends up treating him like a sub-ordinate. The origin story in the comic wasn't well thought out!

TOS Scotty was great. This version experimented on live animals on multiple occasions and beamed a bio-hazard to Earth by bypassing quarantine protocols in the comic. He's good fun in this film but he's far from a model officer!

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is online now   Reply With Quote