View Single Post
Old May 16 2013, 10:26 PM   #21
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Would you use a transporter?

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
^If a crane dropped a steel beam on your head from twenty stories up, you won't notice any difference either.
But the world will notice. And what a sad day it would be for the universe!

On the other hand, if another me was somehow created at the same time, with the same memories and the same brain patterns, no one will notice any difference. Not me. Nor anybody. So, for all reasons and purposes, there will be no difference.

Tiberius wrote: View Post
I don't see how you can say a person, or any object, that has been totally converted to energy all at once, then back to matter and reassembled the same thing, no matter how identical.
That makes no sense. If they are identical, then they are identical, which means there is no way to distinguish between the two.

If you disassemble a house, brick by brick, move it in another place, and they reassemble it without any loss of information, then it's the same house.

Beside, if you look small enough, matter is basically empty space, energy, and information. If we can transport energy and information, then we can transport matter.

In the end, it all boils down if you believe there is some "ineffable" quality in matter that can't be measured, copied, or transported (even using "magical" technology as the transporter). Basically, if you believe in souls.