View Single Post
Old May 16 2013, 09:53 PM   #2373
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I'm praising it - success is its own defense.

Of course, having seen it I'm in a position to have an informed opinion.
I know the whole story. Its all over this thread. I don't have to go see it to know I don't like the story.
I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, your decision not to see the movie now it has reached your area renders your impressions about whether aspects of the movie work on not completely irrelevant.

You have suppositions, inferences, third-hand impressions. I'm not trying to be rude. I speak from experience. There were many many things I was concerned about before I saw the movie -- Spock and Uhura's characters, Kirk's character, the downgrading of McCoy, the elevation of action over character, Abrams "Starwarsification" of the franchise, the loss of that "Trek" feeling. Now, I'm eating hat.

You may or may not like it. There are some legitimate criticisms to be made. Some things work better than others. Some aspects are brilliant. Others... not so much. But you're not even giving yourself a chance. What if you eventually watch it from the library on your telly and find there are some aspects you enjoy. You'll have robbed yourself of the change to see it on the big screen with a crowd all cheering, laughing, groaning, sniffling. You're missing the whole experience.

But, of course it's up to you.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote