View Single Post
Old May 16 2013, 08:59 PM   #2357
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Curiosity: they never did explain why the Enterprise needed to hide in the ocean on Niburu. It would've been nice to have a reason for hiding a starship there. I know the real world reason was to give it a grand reveal to open the film, but an in-universe reason would've been nice.
Eh, it was basically there to set up a cool scene which I have no problem with. Though if it was a shitty scene then I'd probably have actually cared about this point if the scene was shit. I think that's a general rule for Trek movies from me.

Nit 3: That is one ugly impulse deck they put on the Enterprise at the end of the film.
Didn't see this, will have to look out for it next time.

Observation 1: While I know the intent was for Cumberbatch to be Khan, I think they left themselves some wiggle room. If they have a Khan story they could bring in a new actor to play him and pass off Harrison as another augment who took the title.
I can't see them doing this, it would be needlessly complicated and they've shied away from complicating and confusing the audience so far.

Observation 2: The flipped TWOK death scene and Khan's magic blood didn't play nearly as badly as I anticipated. I actually thought they worked quite well.
I think that goes for both movies really, reading the spoilers for this one I feared it was going to turn out to be complete pap but it works. Same with 09, on paper it just seems like it could be a complete mess. I guess thats what happens when you have a talented director and good budget...

Star Trek: Nemesis was a shit film.
Star Trek Into Darkness was not a shit film.
I think it shows the failings of Nemesis considering the energy that 09 and ID had, while having a lot of similar elements. I mean compare the scene with Data floating calmly to the other ship compared to the intense and well done scene in this movie. Compare Hardy to Cumberbatch, though I feel you can put a lot of blame onto the studios for Nemesis for just assuming Trek will get you some nice profit and just handing it to some no mark with no experience.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote