View Single Post
Old May 16 2013, 02:09 PM   #19
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Re: First Contact alternate timeline

King Daniel wrote: View Post
According to the Temporal Integrity Commision on the 29t century, Star Trek: First Contact is actually a "pogo paradox"...

DUCANE: Let's see how much you've assimilated. The Dali paradox.

SEVEN: Also known as the Melting Clock Effect. It refers to a temporal fissure which slows the passage of time to a gradual halt.

DUCANE: The Pogo Paradox.

SEVEN: A causality loop in which interference to prevent an event actually triggers the same event.

DUCANE: Excellent. Can you give me an example?

SEVEN: The Borg once travelled back in time to stop Zefram Cochrane from breaking the warp barrier. They succeeded, but that in turn led the Starship Enterprise to intervene. They assisted Cochrane with the flight the Borg was trying to prevent. Causal loop complete.

DUCANE: So, in a way, the Federation owes its existence to the Borg.

So in-universe, First Contact and by extension Enterprise always happened the way we saw.
I addressed this point already. Basically the VOY writers goofed in attempt to be meta. The episode Relativity is full of contradictions to begin with, but as regards to the pogo paradox ask yourself this.

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post

1. How does Seven know the Borg succeeded? If Earth was assimilated in 2063 through 2373 then how does any record of that remain in the revived timeline where the Borg were defeated by the ENT-E?

2. Same question, How does Seven know the Borg succeeded? It can't be a predestination/pogo paradox that the Borg would both succeed in their goals (assimilating Earth 2063-2373) and fail at them in the same span of time 2063-2373.

3. Since the Borg never sent the message to the Delta Quad, thanks to Picard and Worf blowing up the disk. The DQ Borg had no knowledge there were Borg on Earth.
Given that Relativity was written way before Regeneration and ENT the series was ever conceived. If we take Seven of Nine's statement that she knew the Borg succeeded, and failed at assimilating earth. Then it becomes all the more problematic. Seven can't have knowledge of events that the Borg Collective in the Delta Quad never heard about, or knowledge that the Borg succeeded in conquering Earth from 2063-2373.

I've thought about this a lot. All the visible evidence points to an altered/parallel timeline created by the Borg's incursion. My logic is flawless. Come at me bros!
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote