Thread: Blu-Ray vs DVD
View Single Post
Old May 15 2013, 10:11 PM   #10
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Blu-Ray vs DVD

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
While I fully apreciate the purists' point of view, and would probably agree in any other subject, to me I'll take more story; it's the extended cuts for me.
In my opinion, The Motion Picture was a completely different, and better, film in the director's cut version.
More Star Trek is better!
I totally respect your opinion, CaptPapa. But from my own perspective, even though I'm a fairly long in the tooth 44 year old original series fan dating back to the early 80's, I still don't regard myself as a purist at all. I just feel the DC's are genuinely inferior as movies.

As an example, I feel the changes and additions made to TWOK actually tarnish what is a truly classic film. The extended Peter Preston scene in engineering for instance, with the "blind as a Tiberian bat" comment and suchlike, is pretty cringe-worthy - totally unnecessary and an obvious cut for both content and pacing.

Also, the alternate takes used are, for me, clearly inferior to the ones selected for the theatrical version. Dialogue delivery and acting performances don't quite hit the mark. Again, IMHO, it's very clear why they weren't originally chosen.

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; May 15 2013 at 11:41 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote