View Single Post
Old May 15 2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What's up with some DS9 fanboys' attitude?

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Pretending for a second that I've travelled back in time five years, the only thing "up" with it is that people are allowed to have opinions and interpretations different from yours.
You're probably right. I'm probably just confused about the things that I can't understand, such as interpretations of DS9 as the antipode of TNG.

I am perplexed by the people who really seems to believe that DS9 was the only show with character flaws, politics and metaphysics which couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm also rather baffled by mantras such as "DS9 challenged Gene Roddenberry's utopian vision and the characters were not perfect".

They just go on and on about how DS9, unlike TOS & TNG, showed that the universe wasn't a paradise and that people actually still were humans who still had the ability to make mistakes.

When those people utter things like that, it makes me doubt that they really have seen the predecessors to DS9.

I simply disapprove of diminishing TOS & TNG just to swagger and aggrandize DS9's uniqueness. It was more original than TNG was to TOS, but it was not THAT unique. There were conflicts and idealistically optimal compromises were something hard to achieve even then.
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote