View Single Post
Old May 15 2013, 07:59 PM   #2026
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
The point is not the magic blood... it is the whole setup.

Why do they need to capture Khan to get that blood sample, if they have 72 (!!! ) other augements waiting ON BOARD there.

Plus... this magic blood leads to something, they have created with that transwarp transporter.
Essentially you do not need starships in this reality anymore. Every single person, who watches the movie (as is capable of logical thinking) will ask him/herself the essential question: why didn't Starfleet use the transwarp transporter to follow Khan to Kronos?
The same problem occurs when you think the return from the dead through to the end: You now have the magic blood... death is history.

So, in essence TREK 3 doesn't need starships, nor doctors. The heroes cannot die anymore. That's loss of impact, loss of drama, although I am sure, that Orci and Kurtzman will simply forget that ridiculous plotpoint in the sequel.

Just lay back and enjoy the SFX, action ride, and do not pay to close attention to logic.
New TREK is like TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE. Simple, absolutely dumb, loud entertainment which is in essence about nothing but nice visuals and SFX.
Enjoy it as such, or leave it alone.
While I don't like these issues I think perhaps your overall stance is too much hyperbole. A tribble is a fairly simple life form. Kirk survived because his body was intact but his cells had been damaged by radiation. Although the biology was not explained in scientific detail, I think the serum is not that much of a miracle - it's more like an injection of super-powered stem cells.

However - it is stupid to suggest that such a serum would not already exist. Harrison is a product of 20th century science. Enhanced individuals are outlawed but this serum should already exist.

Similarly, in Trek 2009 I was annoyed that the transporter could travel over a light year. I think you can imagine my disgust when it's used to send someone 20+ light years onto not just an enemy planet but their homeworld.

However, despite them making an overpowered plot device about 500 times more powerful there are many ways that they could place restrictions on use - massive cell damage from use (where is Khan's blood when you need it?). It is a terrible, terrible plot device.

I really hope that they NEVER return to it in the animated series but then I said that after the last movie and they took it even further...

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote