View Single Post
Old May 15 2013, 07:02 PM   #15
The Overlord
Captain

Re: The Romulans as "Space Romans"

Timo wrote: View Post
That sort of speech isn't really specific to any culture or era - but the idea of a Praetor pursuing "a private little war" with personally sponsored forces is right out of the Roman textbooks of how to advance one's political career.

What's incompatible between secret police and democracy? As far as is known, all democracies today have a secret police, and all democracies of yesterday had one, too.

Timo Saloniemi
I am not sure I would consider MI5 or the FBI similar to KGB or the Gestapo, the President of the US and the Prime Minister of the UK is criticized all the time and I don't see those people who are critical just disappear the next day. But you couldn't criticize Hitler or Stalin in such a manner and expect nothing will happen to you.

A CIA agent couldn't bully around members of the US military the way the Tal'Shiar bullied around members of the Romulan military in Face of the Enemy. So exactly who are these secret police organizations in all modern democracies?

A democracy needs more then elections to be a democracy, it needs more just elections, it needs rights of citizens to be respected.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote