Old May 15 2013, 02:06 AM   #1919
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
What makes a good Star Trek film?
Two hours of aging actors smugly reciting poor dialogue if I remember the first ten of them correctly.

I know you're joking here but as much as I like to nitpick the Star Trek movies its all out of love. They're all great movies, even the one I hate . As I say to the 4 year old, it doesn't mean I love you less if I love your older brother.

Flake wrote: View Post
I think he means the scene in the warp core which is lifted entirely from TWOK and even recites the same lines but different characters speak them. I was not comfortable with it thats for sure!
Its a big nod to the fans. Geez Abrams can't win. He/the screen writers did this for us fans. He needn't have done it. They could have solved the situation another way. Non-fans don't care. Thank you Abrams for trying at least

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
I think he means the scene in the warp core which is lifted entirely from TWOK and even recites the same lines but different characters speak them. I was not comfortable with it thats for sure!
Exactly.

But getting back to where this all started, Kirk is promoted from cadet to Captain against all common sense, in ST:09. Then demoted at the start of this film cause he's clearly not ready. But at the end of ST:ID, he was again in command. But in everything I've read, no where do I see he understands and accepts what he did was wrong. He simply gets rewarded for saving the day again.
So Kirk saves the Earth and stops a Klingon war and the captaincy of one of many starships Starfleet has, is too much of a reward. Are there any other captains in Starfleet who have done as much. There's probably people who are better at paper work. Maybe Captain Tracey's still there, perhaps those captains/commodores who agreed that Starfleet should install the M5 in an armed Starship.

I'm over the cadet-captain thing anyway. Its been 4 years. It happened, You can't change it. They even demoted him at the beginning of the film to appease the fans
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote