View Single Post
Old May 15 2013, 01:09 AM   #1911
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BillJ wrote: View Post
Star Trek is an incredible TV series and I've been watching it for as long as I can remember (1975 when I was 4). It's like a friend whose been with me my whole life, I honestly think it's the longest continual relationship I've had in my life.

But...

It is incredibly flawed. People tend to remember the good and forget the not-so-good which simply isn't fair to J.J. Abrams version.

Is Abrams version perfect? Hell no, not even close. An elderly Vulcan, who hasn't been in active service for a century flying such a critical mission. A beach ball full of Red Matter, enough to rearrange the universe sent along when a single drop will collapse a star. Cadet to Captain of the Flagship.

But, in 2009, I had fun with Star Trek for the first time in a very long time. Somewhere along the way those in charge of the franchise forgot it was suppose to be fun.

YMMV.
Yep. I was a little too young for the first-run of TOS, but my friends and I caught up in a hurry in the early 1970s when they started showing it in syndication. Even then, we'd laugh our asses off at some of the downright silly things. Our favorite episodes were those that were farcical (in the real definition of the word) like "A Piece of the Action", "The Trouble with Tribbles", and "I Mudd". They were fun.

Good characters helped, too. That and they themselves didn't seem to be taking it all that seriously, either. When Kirk faced the noose right before a commercial in "The Squire of Gothos", I really expected him to look at the camera, wink, and give a wry grin.

Whatever Kirk was doing, if it was trying to make a primative gun to shoot a Gorn, reasoning with red, green, and yellow brains, or wooing yet another alien vixen, you expected there was nothing else in the universe he'd rather be doing. He was having fun. That's what's back in Trek, now.