View Single Post
Old May 14 2013, 07:24 PM   #159
McDuff
Lieutenant Commander

Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Granted I have only been watching the show since 2005, but it has never been high art. It's always been zany, silly, filled with plot holes, aimed at children more than adults (this includes the Classic episodes I've seen), a popcorny sense of adventure only occasionally punctuated by heroic moments.
I understand where you're coming from. There's also some people who've been watching Doctor Who since their childhood, so they feel a sense of ownership.

Personally I didn't grew up on it and only watched a few classic episodes before 2005. I really started to get into Doctor who in 2005 with the new series.

While Moffat wrote good episodes under RTD, I much prefer the RTD era. I felt the RTD episodes were less directed at a children audience than Moffat is. Moffat was a good writer under RTD but he seems to make a point to make his episodes directed to a young audience instead of a general audience (the child in us) like RTD was. He even said so himself.

On the other hand, this episode was more enjoyable than the last few episodes. The 2 Doctor fighting each other in his head was pretty interesting. The Cybermen made me think of the Borg with their assimilation and the way they adapt. Resistance is futile! It's strange that they don't use their fast moving ability more often.

While I strongly miss the RTD era, I still enjoy watching Doctor Who. It's not great but very much watchable.