View Single Post
Old May 14 2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Harvey
Admiral

Re: George Takei and Second Two of TOS

Christopher wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Takei was a regular, with a contract for 7 out of every 13 episodes, which was apparently the union minimum for series regulars at the time. (I know, we've done this dance before.)
Then I will repeat: While the distinction today is looser, in '60s TV the term "regular" would've only applied to someone whose name was in the main titles and who appeared in every or almost every episode. Only Shatner and Nimoy were regulars in season 1, and only they and Kelley were regulars for the rest of the series. The rest were semi-regulars.
Let me quote Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (emphasis mine):

In fact, he [DeForest Kelley] would not receive costar billing and was guaranteed only the actors' union minimum for series regulars, "seven out of thirteen" shows, including the pilot.
For the first season, Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Whitney, and Takei were all signed as "series regulars." A May 31, 1966 document in the UCLA Roddenberry files, "First Production Year 1966-1967" confirms this. "Semi-regular" might be a useful way of distinguishing between regulars earning SAG minimum and the stars, but in the television industry in the 1960s, they were all regulars.

(Happy to share some of this stuff if you PM me.)

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote