View Single Post
Old May 14 2013, 05:24 PM   #58
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Who is Spock's wife(or mate)?

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
To the posters saying Spock must mate every 7 years:
In "Amok Time", IIRC, it is mentioned, Spock tells Kirk he had hoped to be spared the Pon Farr due to his hybrid human nature (?). I looked, but have not found the exact passage.
Kirk:
But you're not a fish, Mister Spock. You're ...

Spock:

No. Nor am I a man. I'm a Vulcan.
I'd hoped I would be spared this,
but the ancient drives are too strong.
Eventually, they catch up with us,
and we are driven by forces we cannot control to return home and take a wife.
Or die.

It not exactly clear if Spock thinks it's his hybrid human nature that's going to "spare" him, or something else, only that there is a possibility that he wouldn't have to experience pon farr for some reason. Conjecture on my part would be that a certain percentage of Vulcan males either don't go through pon farr at all, or they do not experience the "full meal deal."

There's also the possibility that Spock was basically being irrational in thinking he could avoid pon farr.

IMO, this makes the most sense and, indeed, sets Spock apart from any set timeline for Vulcan Pon Farr.
Spock could have been having his regularly scheduled pon farrs. The pon farr 7 years after Amok Time would have fallen about a year or so after TMP. The pon farr we see Spock experiencing in TSFS nicely fit with being 14 years after Amok Time.

Regardless of Spock apparent age in TSFS, he is having his chronologically "scheduled" pon farr.

The next pon farr is either prior to, or subsequent to, TUC. At some point in Spock's life he does become married to someone.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote