View Single Post
Old May 14 2013, 03:50 AM   #195
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Do You Believe the Official Chronology?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ Works for you, doesn't for me.
For me its all about the intent of the author(s). Star Trek loses something when its not our future.

And I don't that much about making everything "fit". Alternate reality is a cop out.
Then I don't see how you can enjoy much science fiction at all. I can easily accept it on its own terms knowing full well our reality isn't happening or going to happen as depicted onscreen or on the page.
Sure, but shouldn't any new Trek be about the possibilities of our own future? Otherwise, doesn't it just become escapist fantasy?
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
This didn't used to be true, but vintage sci-fi is now full of TV shows and movies whose far-flung future settings have been passed by the real calendar. We just have to accept them as contained stories in their own unique time.

It might even be fun to compile a list one of these days. Offhand I can think of:

2001: A Space Odyssey.
I haven't seen the movie in a few years, but I don't believe the year is actually mentioned at any point in the film. It still seems to me a relevent view of our possible future. The most out-of-date aspect of the film probably isn't the year of the title, but the Cold War stuff with the Russians on that space station.