View Single Post
Old May 14 2013, 03:02 AM   #53
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: TrekCore: "Important News about DS9 in HD Coming May 10"

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Hm, not sure, it's still quite CG looking, unlike the original DVD version.
I dunno, the original DVD version just looks like CG rendered at D1 res to me. There's nothing particularly magical about it, other than the fact that it has an incredibly low amount of visible detail (as you would expect). It certainly doesn't look any more like a physical model than the new 1080p render.

Here's what the miniature looked like in Generations:

An observation about how it looked in GEN:

ILM did a really bad paint job biased heavily into blue, which was still on it when I saw the model during the making of FIRST CONTACT. It actually looked from a distance like one of those cardboard Enterprises you'd see in a Tower Records movie department back then. Since this particular model was not painted that way during the series that I can recall, it might not be the best example.

I do agree that the original series image you posted is nothing great ... however, I think it could easily be spruced up by playing with the contrast levels (which is what they really needed to do on TRIALS & TRIBB, because those excellent models read like mediocre CG to my eye, due to the lack of contrast and snap to the image.)

If DS9 were remastered with an eye toward making most of the exterior ship VFX -- i.e., resemble the Wolf 359 battle in terms of really black shadow sides and contrast -- the series would probably emerge as having its own distinctive look, one that would match its equally distinctive creative voice in the writing department - that'd make for the best of both blah-blah-blahs.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote