View Single Post
Old May 14 2013, 02:44 AM   #8
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Capitalisation of I

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Does Arabic writing have capitalisation?

Are there any written languages (alphabetically written) that don't capitalise any words.
Hebrew, one of the world's oldest alphabetically written languages, has no capital letters.

I believe Arabic script also has no capitals, although the consonants do have initial, medial and final forms. Are there any Arabic or Persian speakers here who can elaborate?

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I don't know if I have ever seen it at all. When I was at school I think we were taught to use "co-operation" and "re-evaluate". I only remember seeing "zoological".
Nowadays those words are almost always spelled without a hyphen or dieresis: cooperate, reenter, etc.

Lately I've noticed the single-word spelling "noone" (for "no one") gaining currency, and I suppose it may be accepted as standard within a decade. To me, however, "Noone" will always be this guy.

Occasionally in English, foreign words may be written with an accent mark even though the word has no accent in its original language. For example, back in the 1970s, Plymouth made a car called the Volaré. The infinitive volare ("to fly") has no accent in Italian. But it was written with an acute accent so we unsophisticated Yanks wouldn't pronounce it "Volair."