View Single Post
Old May 13 2013, 06:42 PM   #360
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: When did voyager go wrong?

Cadet49 wrote: View Post
To me, the show would have been more effective if:

1. They hadn't relied on alien crew members from species that had already been explored more effectively in the other series (Vulcans, Klingons, Borg etc.) - this detracted from the "far into the unknown" feel they seemed to want in the beginning - explore new alien concept (like Odo and the Jem'Hadar were on DS9)
I agree, and I think that they should've trimmed the main cast a bit and had more characters from the other Alien species like the Kazon and Vidiians and Krenim.

I mean, we had the Vidiian Doctor that the EMH was in love with, why not keep her around?

2. The ship hadn't stayed in such perfect shape - I would have liked to have seen the crew actually have to abandon the Voyager at some point, and re-name an alien ship they acquired the "Voyager", or else have the ship get in terrible shape, and have to be retrofitted with parts from many alien cultures they encountered.
This, I think they should've just had them go to lots of alien starbases and stuff. No one would mind if they just repeatedly told us enough times how the ship stayed in good shape.

I mean, Moya from Farscape never needed repairs unless really badly damaged.

3. If a Maquis had ended up in command of the Voyager. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if one of the Maquis, who was a former Starfleet officer, but no longer bound by its rules, ended up in command, with a real "by the book" Starfleet type acting as that captain's first officer - would have created some unique command decisions we might not have seen from Picard or Sisko, if the captain was no longer a member of Starfleet (e.g. "Prime Directive? What Prime Directive??"
I would've just made Janeway the 3rd Officer put in charge when the Captain and XO are killed off. The Science Officer or something. Chakotay would realize that they need to work together because the Maquis can't operate the ship on their own, and serve as more of a mentor to her. Then the conflict internally would be from both Fleeters who think she's not command material, and Maquis who think Chakotay sold out.

4. Send the ship into an entirely different galaxy, not just a different section of our galaxy, the "delta quadrant" - a radically different galaxy where life is completely different - where the possibility of getting home seems even more remote and unreachable, so the crew has to struggle with the concept that they may have to create a new life for themselves, in a galaxy they cannot understand or predict - the rules of science don't always apply here ...
Yes, being truly lost and not knowing how to get home would've made things better.

In my opinion, Voyager had the potential to be one of the most unique Treks ever made, but fell into some formulaic elements from the previous Treks that had worked for the earlier shows, but unfortunately gave this series too much of a "been there, done that" feel for a viewer like me (though it did have some well-written episodes...)
The show had conceptual problems from the start that needed to be ironed out. The Maquis conflict was never going to be that interesting, and the whole "Lost in Space" thing is only good for 2 seasons. What the show really lacked was a real plot to drive things, a proper external plot.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote