View Single Post
Old May 13 2013, 05:51 PM   #209
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Whoa Nellie wrote: View Post
I would also add that the 2nd amendment is not just another law or even just another Constitutional Amendment. It is one of the first ten amendments, also known as The Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights was written by James Madison and specifically added to the Constitution to prevent tyranny by the central government.

Whoa Nellie
The sole purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to equip a well-regulated militia (which is no longer necessary, now that we have things like the police and the military, which did not exist when the Constitution was written). It was meant to strengthen the government, not weaken or destroy it.
Yeah, people seem to selectivly edit what the 2nd means. I question whether a lot of them know the actual text of it or not; or do they think it starts and ends with the whole "right to bear arms" clause.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Now I accept the idea fo the citizen militia (everyone of age is in the militia by default). Notice all that is tied to a "regulated" (see: regulations, law, controls, training, oversight by a higher authority) militia whose purpose is to defend "a free state". So arming up to take out the govt. would run counter to the conditions and purpose of the 2nd.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote