View Single Post
Old May 13 2013, 06:46 PM   #206
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain
Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I am well aware of the purpose of the Bill of Rights, in general. I'm talking about the Second Amendment, specifically. The only reason IT exists is to provide for a militia, and we of course no longer need a militia because we have things that didn't exist at that time (the police, the military). Since those organizations now provide for the security of a free state, militias are no longer needed for that purpose.
Obviously you weren't aware of the purpose of the Bill of Rights because you stated the the purpose as the very opposite of the Founding Fathers' intentions as stated in my above link from the National Archive.

The 2nd amendment is an integral part of the Bill of Rights, hence its position at number two. Or are you actually arguing that the 2nd amendment was meant for the exact opposite purpose as the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th?

In my history classes I was always taught that the first 10 amendments (That's all ten!) to the United States Constitution were collectively called The Bill of Rights written by James Madison to prevent tyranny from a powerful central government.

Technically, there is a legal way to repeal any Constitutional amendment.

Would you actually see any of the 10 amendments of The Bill of Rights repealed?

No. Not a snowballs chance in Hell. It ain't happening. It would be political suicide for not only the individual proposing it, but his whole political party.

The President could not even get a gun control bill through a Senate controlled by his own party and that is a far political cry from repealing a Constitutional Amendment, especially one of the first ten.

Whoa Nellie
Recipient of the 2006 Alara Rogers ASC Award for Best Author Overall.
"I personally like to think Picard and Vash had a very active sex life. I can't believe Picard just read Shakespeare up there in his room all those years." Patrick Stewart.
Whoa Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote