View Single Post
Old May 13 2013, 10:14 AM   #114
Starkers
Admiral

Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

I gave it a great, but really it was somewhere between average and great, and I’m just feeling charitable today I guess. Just goes to show that a great writer doesn’t always write great. For all the stuff I read beforehand from Gaiman saying he wanted to make the Cybermen scary again, and going on about how much creepier they were when they were quiet, yet essentially we just got a lot of stomping around again.

That said I do prefer the new design, the face is especially creepy, it’s just a shame Gaiman’s felt the need to Borg them up so much. Warwick Davies was great. Tamsin whatsherface was pointless, the kids were annoying and, as people have said, could have been any two kids, they didn’t need to be Clara’s charges. The punishment squad could have been a lot better too and I still can’t quite decide if Smith was great or terrible in this…possibly he was both and neither.

After annoying me last week it was the turn of cool Clara this week (I really do wonder if there’s a Prestige kinda thing going on here!) which means she’ll no doubt annoy me next week.

Perfectly serviceable Who episode, and may well be the best Cyberman episode of the new series…but that isn’t saying much, and given the author…

As for 7B so far, I’d rank them thusly, though really only 1,2 and 7 are fixed. The others might float around a bit depending on my mood. Gatiss owns this half series though!

1. The Crimson Horror
2. Cold War
3. The Bells of St John
4. Nightmare in Silver
5. Hide
6. Journey to the Centre of the Tardis
7. Rings of utter bollocks.