View Single Post
Old May 13 2013, 12:45 AM   #146
Ryva Brall
Commander

Re: Ryva Takes On Enterprise (Again)

horatio83 wrote: View Post
When the show was about deep philosophical stuff like in Dear Doctor you seemingly did not appreciate it.
Ehh... Like I said, I didn't think that was a badly written episode. I just didn't agree with the morals of it. (Or lack thereof.)

Everyone tells me ENT gets a lot better after Season Two. I continue to live in hope.

Speaking of hope...

Shuttlepod One:

An episode light in plot, but heavy in character development. Trip and Malcolm are stranded in a shuttlepod with only a few days' worth of oxygen, after mistakenly assuming that Enterprise has been destroyed. Male bonding ensues.

I... liked this episode. I must say I'm surprised, especially since it was written by Berman and Braga (in my opinion, the worst Trek writers of all time). But once in a while, they manage to pull one off. In this case, though, I think most of the credit has to go to Connor Trinneer and Dominic Keating. I loved them both in this episode. Their characters seemed like real people, having real conversations. And the subject of contention between them -- namely blind optimism vs. cynical realism -- was consistent with both their characters. Trip chooses to hope for the best, no matter the circumstances, while Malcolm believes in accepting the inevitable, and preparing for it. I can see the value of both sides.

This episode had its weak points. For one thing, I find it hard to believe that Trip, the chief engineer, would look at one piece of Enterprise's hull scattered among debris of an alien ship, and come to the conclusion that Enterprise had been destroyed. You'd think he would know better. Then again, he also thinks that hair and fingernails continue to grow after death. (Total BS. And not surprising that Berman and Braga don't know that. Their grasp of science is flimsy, at best.)

Despite these flaws, this was a solid episode. I'm surprised that I like Trip and Malcolm as much as I do. They're such completely different characters. But for once, I'm surprised in a good way.