View Single Post
Old May 12 2013, 10:30 PM   #778
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Elias Vaughn wrote: View Post
I'm too lazy to go back and check, but is this thread fifty pages of people forgetting that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (or the one) has been a core conceit of Trek philosophy since at least Wrath of Khan?
Don't forget that this is a principle you can choose for yourself. Your fate being ordered by another person is a completely different thing.

Just read this:

MacLeod wrote:
So is letting 6 people die to 7 the right choice, what about 600 to 601, 700 000 to 700 001 at what point is the line crossed?
Well, ...do I not hear Picard defending a minority against a majority in this? Dispite the benefits may have outweight for a majority? Because it doesn't matter how large the groups are. If it is against your will, it is against your will!

Guy Gardener wrote:

Lee Enfield wrote:
btw. As I mentioned in another thread: The condition for Thomas Riker to be created were very unique. And the Quantum Method implies that they are both real and neither of them is a copy.

Unique? Really? A science team would have been sent to that planet and attempted to replicate the accident. Meanwhile the Federation spent almost 5 years fighting an inexhaustible clone army. At some point they had to consider making their own clones, transporter or otherwise.
Dont know what it is you want to say.

1. Logistacally: The planet we are taking about is in the Alpha Quadrant. Research may be ongoing. The Voyager certainly has no access to this secret research (70.000 lightyears away) that would find no public support to create a clone army.
2. Morally: I doubt Starfleet would be so easy on creating a clone army through the reproduction of an accident. It certainly was shown as an entity that wouldn't enslave another species.

This idea of yours sounds rather out of character.
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote