View Single Post
Old May 12 2013, 05:01 PM   #93
Kirks_Flying_Wig
Commander

Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Cybermen have always been crap, barely surviving their encounters with the Doctor, defeated again and again. Survival has always been the Cybermen's recurring theme.

Also: a base under siege scenario. I'd say it was an intentional homage to the second Doctor, and even if it wasn't, I'll just pretend it is.

The kids, though, were completely useless, which is a pity because I was actually looking forward to seeing them.

^ This is what annoyed me.

I was really looking forward to seeing a second Gaiman episode and, for the most part, I enjoyed it until it turned into a run-of-the-mill base under siege story. Smith was mostly good and Warwick Davis was outstanding. I didn't think much of Mel Owen, the ginger kid from Skins or that James Corden tribute act. As others have said, the whole "punishment platoon" was a wasted concept.

I couldn't help but feel this episode had a greater degree of Moffat interfering, particularly given its place in the season. The images of the previous Doctors showing up is surely an allusion to the finale so the younger kids understand the Doctor's past.

I might change my mind on a second viewing, but this episode fell far short of The Doctor's Wife.
Kirks_Flying_Wig is offline   Reply With Quote